Sunday, April 05, 2009

Yesterday was Saturday, so It's Sunday

Sometime ago I decided I wanted to try and go an unspecified duration of time eating only locally grown or produced foods. I have done a significant amount of research and have several ideas, etc. in place to help me succeed. I gave myself a start date of May 1st. As this date approaches I have begun to realize there is a lot of food I will not be able to eat. That is all fine and expected, but I do not have a stock pile of produce in the freezer or canned to get me through the next couple of months when I can then buy stuff at the Farmers Market, the CSA I joined, or my own garden. Thus, I am still going to start the process of local only on May 1st, but not full throttle till the end of summer. By then I should be good to go through the fall, winter, and spring. I am excited for the challenge. The best part, if I fail...who cares. There are always exceptions too! Like coffee.

I did get a ride into today. I was under the impression it would be a pretty crummy day but it wasn't too bad this morning. Just me and The Chemical Brothers, then just me and Combichrist at the gym. Time for Cub.

Later.

2 comments:

Kyia said...

I don't know how much local food you'll find at CUB. I was surprised they sold honey from Little Falls. They might have apples from MN but good luck, maybe General Mills is okay, but where do the grains actually come from... The Food Co op has a few grains and nuts (sunflower seeds) that are from the area, I think you'd be surprised.

We are starting our lettuce and other veggies this week so if we have any extras your welcome to it come planting time.

Oh, I'm up for a ride if your riding!

JennaKate said...

Very cool! Glad to hear you joined a CSA group. We always did that when I was a kid. Are you going to start baking your own bread? Its a great way to save money and its so much better for you. I have a great family recipe if you're interested. If you want local venison, Brian's family has a TON now that we don't eat meat.

Good for your guys. Good luck!