Monday, April 18, 2016

Great Weekend.

Saturday was looking to be a great day:  warm temps, sun, and I with the day to do whatever.  Yes, the wind was kicking once again but not enough to keep me off the bike.  A bit before 8:00 I was on the Evergreen heading South.
I did last year's Dirt Bag course to it's Southern most part then broke off and continued South.  On this ride I realized why it is I like the Dirt Bag course so much.  It doesn't go in anyone direction for too long, so on windy days there are many breaks.  But now I was in the brunt of the wind pounding it out. 
I started in Sherburne County, passed through Wright, Carver, and eventually Mcleod.  I jumped on the Luce Line Trail some to get a break from the wind.  I continued South past Lester Prairie.  Around the 5 hour mark I made the turn West.  When I made the turn to head home I was more than ready for a tailwind but the gravel in Mcleod County was 3" of loose gravel.  I was unable to find "the" line and felt I was working just as hard going with the wind!

Eventually the gravel would firm up and I was able to spin the legs freely.  It was a hot and windy day, as was evident by my salt encrusted jersey and I'm sure face.  Total I went through 10-11 bottles.  At a stop in Howard Lake I gave in and had a soda, Cherry Pepsi...my first in over 3 months.

I made it home with 9.5 hours, 155 miles, around 5:30 (so only 20 minutes of stops).  I felt pretty solid overall.  I wasn't setting a killer pace but kept it solid.  The legs were tired at the end but not shot, despite being dehydrated.

Sunday I met up with the Southside Cyclist group and we did 2 hours.  Felt good to spin the legs but any hills and I my legs let me know they were there!
Hoping for an hour on the mountain bike tonight but rain is predicted.  Once again rain is predicted for TNR too. 
Fingers crossed.

No comments: