Friday, June 16, 2017

First Impressions.

After receiving the bike this past Monday I've finally got it built (with some of my special touches) and ready to rip!  I was worried I'd miss my Spearfish but the Deadwood quickly squashed those fears, just like it did the bumps in Sand Prairie.  Last night I was able to get out for a couple of hours for the maiden voyage.

I usually only hit up Sand Prairie in the winter when many of the bumps and ruts are hidden by snow but I was curious to see how a 29+ full suspension bike handled...like a dream!  Amazing!  OK so it's good in the open prairie how about the twisty single track of the North Loop?  That was next.
Again I was surprised by it's nimbleness in the single tack.  I don't have a way to quantify if it's slower than a regular 29er but if it is it makes up for it in the effortlessness it requires to navigate the rock gardens and rooty sections.   I was even able to dive into the corners a bit harder.  Not that I had a lot of sustained hills to climb last night but I will say I feel it drags a bit on what hills I did have.  But again that's just my early perception.  When I purchased the bike I also purchased a set of regular 29er wheels and tires for "races" etc.  Now I wish I hadn't.  I don't think they are needed!

I made the call last night, even though the weather is looking up, to not head to the Chequamegon 100.  I'm a bit bummed but know it's the right call.  Lot's going on in the Doom Family right now so best be closer to home.  Riding will still occur but they will start and end from home.

Happy Weekend.

No comments: