Monday, October 16, 2017

Dirt Bag.

Sunday was the Dirt Bag, a 34, 64, or 86 mile gravel race.  The rain came a bit later on Saturday and lasted much longer than thought.  Despite the route being bomber and fast on Thursday it was turned into a sponge.  Around mile 4 or so we hit Huber road and the start of the gravel.  The pace picked up a bit while I made my way to the front.  I put a solid effort in to string it out some.  I eased up and pulled off to let someone else pull.  Drew came around fast and hard.  I waited a bit for others to follow.  No one did so I started to chase, but I was gassed from my effort up front.  Eventually Ian and a few others passed and I waited for the rest.  But there weren't anymore!  That was it.  The group had already split.  The chase was on.  I had yet to recover from my effort so I was hurting.

Sam and Noah caught up to me (they were struggling with their road bikes sinking into the gravel) and passed me...I was gassed.  I eventually came around and caught back up with Sam and Noah.  We made some efforts but really never seemed to close the gap.  Without ever speaking it was determined the lead group of 4 was gone.

The three of us road together for about 30 miles or so.  They eventually started to turn sour and complain about gravel races!  They are both young and strong road riders.  Unknown to me (I was up front) they stopped to relieve themselves.  When I turned to look I saw no one.  I figured it was for the best as bad attitudes are contagious and I am one to fall into that trap.  So from about mile 45 on it was just like another training ride for me.  Back on the Dirt Bag course pounding out miles.

This year the wind was out of the W/NW.  Thus the already chunky and difficult gravel section was made harder by a strong headwind and soft conditions..  While only about 10 miles long is seemed to take it's time ticking off the miles, no matter how hard I went.  This would have been a nice section to have others to ride with.  The headwind would turn into a tailwind on Delwood road, providing a nice payback!

I finished in 4 hours and 40 minutes for 5th place, about 25 minutes behind the winner, Ian!  Nice job fellas!  Best part about this event is all the great soups afterwards.  After a bowl of soup and a small amount of chit chat I headed out.  I was getting cold and wanted some coffee and an hot shower.

Thanks John, Susan, and all the volunteers for putting on another great Dirt Bag.

No comments: