Friday, October 20, 2017

Southern Winds this Week.

Well it appears I've been slacking in updates this week.  For only a 3 day week at school, lots was packed in.
Tuesday was Brinna's last home swim meet of the year.  I was able to sneak in an hour at the North Loop prior to the meet.  I know I've said it before but man I have fun at those meets, despite the noise and heat.
Wednesday I worked at noon.  The wind was to be out of the south most (I actually think all) of the week.  With a longer ride planned on Thursday I opted for the woods again.  I hit up Plum Creek/River Bluffs, Friedrich Park, the North Loop, and Sand Prairie.  All trails are running good.  The North Loop has lots of leaves down but they weren't slippery like I thought they would be.  Ended with a tad over 3 hours.

I was off Thursday from work.  My mom takes my sister's kids and my kids on a MEA trip every year.  I waited around for them to depart and then took off myself.  OK I waited till the car was getting packed and took off.  Already the wind was busting out of the south, blasting me as I made the turn onto County Road 8.  Having done the Dirt Bag route so much this year I opted to try something different.  I started on the DB route but then turned off to go by the Monticello Power Plant and cross I94 on the bridge closer to Monticello.  I meandered around quite a bit as a lot of the gravel roads I jumped on would "T" up to a paved road.
I finally got on a road that seemed to go south for a long ways.  The wind was now nearing the ridiculous level!  But I kept my cool and pedaled on.  When I did make the turn for home all the struggling into the wind became worth it as the tail wind was a sweet reward.

I rode the Cutthroat to continue getting used to it.  The more I ride it the more I like it.  I also like that it's different from my Evergreen so I didn't double up on bikes.  They really compliment each other.  There is a creak I seemingly can't eliminate. It has a PF style BB so I ordered up a Wheels Manufacturing BB to hopefully make the bike quiet again.  Ended with about 6.5 hours and 111 miles.

I toyed with getting up at 4:30 this morning but quickly opted to ride after work.  But checking the weather this morning I see the wind will be in the upper teens out of the south...ugh.

Happy Weekend.

No comments: