Monday, December 18, 2017

Numbers.

Saturday I biked a tad over 4 hours on the fat bike, all within a few miles of my house.  We received a bit of snow overnight, an inch or so.  I had thought about hitting the open road (paved and gravel) but as I set out the new snow called me to the woods.  I left in the dark as I had Brinna's gymnastics meet that afternoon.  Being out early I was laying down first tracks.  I hit up my usual spots (South of Talahi Woods, Balto's, farmer fields, Sand Prairie, North Loop, Friedrich Park, and a few connectors), spending most of the time down in Sand Prairie. With the ponds frozen I have a bit more area to ride and new routes.  I had a blast!  It made me realize we have some pretty good fat biking right here in St. Cloud.  Sure it's not your "groomed" single track but piece together what we have and it can be damn fun.

Sunday I had originally thought about doing a longer day but with lots to do at the house and Christmas stuff piling up I opted for a shorter ride (a bit over 3 hours).  With warming temps predicted I pulled out the Slop Bike (fendered, studded, now geared, Surly Cross Check).  What a weird feeling it was riding a "skinny" tired bike after having been on a fat bike the past 6 weeks!  Of course once I hit the gravel I was stoked how great the conditions were and wanted to keep going.  But I stuck to the plan.  I'm glad I did, we got a lot accomplished!  Feels good checking items off the list.

I don't really look too much at my overall miles for the year.  A few months ago someone asked what I was at so I looked, via Strava.  Based off that number I arbitrarily put a year goal of 12,500 miles.  At the time it seemed very plausible but then I started riding the fat bike exclusively. I've been putting in the time, the miles however don't add up as fast.  Thus was my wanting to ride a 100 on the skinny tired bike on Sunday.  Dork.  So far I'm at 12,042.  During the summer it's be no problem to knock out the remaining miles in a couple weeks.  But it's winter with the holidays approaching and I have a race at the end of the month I should taper for.  So...12,500 may fall by the waste side.   Just numbers man, just numbers!  Compared to last year at this time I am a couple hundred miles behind but 40 hours ahead.  As I always say, "time is more important than distance" and the quality too.  Ah Strava and it's numbers.

Happy Week.

No comments: