Friday, December 15, 2017

Searching for Snow.

Slowly snow is starting to cover the state.  Here in St. Cloud I'd say we have 1-2" with 3" in spots.  Hearing reports of more snow up North in Brainerd (I went to Morrison County) I decided to head North on my ride yesterday.  The plan was to do a similar ride to last week but instead of jumping off the Soo Line after the Blanchard Dam I'd continue on the Wobegon.  Because the last couple snow falls have been dustings the streets were never plowed but rather the salt mixture was tossed all over.  Thus the sides of roads have become a god awful mess.  I opted for small paved roads and mostly gravel roads.  Even with a small coating of snow the effort needed was noticeable.  Despite my efforts to avoid "messy" roads it was inevitable at times and the bike is a bit of a mess, ugh...crap winters.

It always takes me much longer to get to the Soo Line Trail than I think it should.  Once I hit the trail I was stoked to see they had a solid 3" or more and had yet to be used by any ATV's.  Man was the going slow and arduous!  Exactly what I wanted!
Once I crossed hwy 10 then the Blanchard Dam I checked the time.  Whoa!  If I did the route I was thinking, taking the Wobegon to St. Joe then home I may still be out there!  Thus I jumped off the trail and took gravel roads as much as possible on my way home.

Stats: 100.5 miles, 8 hours 20 minutes, 12.1 mph average...fun!
I felt pretty dang good the entire ride.  Maybe the lack of a double digit wind helped!

Back home I picked up Harper, made an awesome vegan soup/stew, and hung out with the family.  If things work out I'll be able to get an hour spin in tonight.

Happy Weekend.

No comments: