Friday, January 12, 2018

You Never Know.

Ok, ok...even though we only received less than an inch of snow it was enough to change it up and make the trails fun to rip on.  But don't get me wrong, a bit more would have been better!  After getting the kids to school I took my time getting out yesterday.  The high wind, cold temps, and lack of snow had me in a bit of a funk.  Around 10 I finally made my way over to the River Bluffs and Plum Creek.

Get yourself some studded tires!  The trails and fields are fine without for the most part but if you bike to those locations watch out.  There was a lot of hidden ice under blowing snow.  Not sure why but I was in a mood to put in some laps.  I didn't ride Plum Creek proper at all, but instead spent most of my time south of that system of trails.  I did almost 10 laps (not all in a row) around the field prior to going into Time Waster.  I had planned on doing more laps than I did around the perimeter of the flooded gravel pit area but it was mostly glare ice and wind.  Even with studs I was a bit nervous, so I ended up with just two laps.
I made my way back to the SE side and the Talahi Woods area.  Then onto Baltos and Sand Prairie.  Down at Sand Prairie I had to do some hand maintenance. They were going numb then cold.  After Tuscobia I've become a bit concerned and more conscious of them.  It's a work in progress for sure.

Back up the hill to parts of the North Loop and Friedrich Park.  I set out in a funk thinking I'd be lucky if I got 3 hours in.  I ended with 4.5!  Yep...it's much better out there than I'd have ever guessed.  But we still need more snow.  Hell I still wouldn't mind strapping on the skinny skis and doing some laps as well.

Happy Weekend.

#letitsnow

No comments: