Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Too Much Snow?

While I love snow and always wish for more it was easier to ride when we had less.  Ha!  Spoken like a true Minnesotan...never happy!  When we had 3-4" snow falls, with little base, I could ride anywhere.  There wasn't enough to groom the single track so "rules" weren't in place.  Ski trails hadn't been groomed yet and bush crashing was possible.  Now that we received almost a foot of snow in a week, on top of whatever we had on the ground,  I can't just hop on the bike and go.

It's been too warm so the single track hasn't been able to set up.  Also our groomer (snow dog) is too light to really pack down and churn up the snow enough to get all the air out, (or so I believe). Thus hitting the single track without leaving ruts is next to impossible.  Ironically the trails that see a lot of foot traffic are riding well.  Last night I did a small loop at Sand Prairie.  It wasn't fast and you have to concentrate on holding your line but it was fun.  I tried to venture back to Bumpity Bump but not many walkers have ventured out that far so I was sinking and spinning.

I made my way back up the hill to the Friedrich Park, skipping the North Loop.  The trail my family and I snowshoed in directed the walkers where to go.  It was solid for the most part.  I started losing air in my rear tire so I pumped it up and headed for home.

I wasn't planning on riding so to get 1.5 hours in was a bonus.  We are hitting 40 degrees again today. Such a bummer to waste all this good snow.  But despite loving it, I'm ready for some open roads, crunchy gravel, and less clothing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a useful post.