Monday, March 05, 2018

Snow...again.

Winter has returned this morning.  Even school got canceled last night.  It started out as rain, then sleet, and now snow.  Up to 10" has been predicted.  Again, why couldn't this have been during December or January!
Before the return of winter I got some good rides in on the Slop Bike (Surly Cross Check).  After doing a century on Thursday with studded tires, I took them off for Saturday's ride.  Wow, what a difference.  I was with the kids during the morning and through lunch.  I got out around 1:30.  Which was warm but also so, so windy.  Not much you can do but put your head down and go, knowing you'll get a tailwind at some point.  Ended with 58 miles in 3:44.

Sunday the wind was much the same, maybe stronger.  It wasn't as warm nor was the sun out.  I left earlier to be home the rest of the day.  I left home on dry roads.  An hour later I ran into the remnants of a sleet storm.
Wish I still had the studded tires!

Then I hit rain for about an hour.  I wasn't dressed for rain.  As the rain started to permeate my clothing I felt the cold kicking in.  I was on my way home, with the wind, so I wasn't worried.  Once home it was a hot shower, coffee, and board games with Harper in front of the fire place!  And our streets were dry!

Not a bad week of riding: 18.5 hours and 240 miles.  The days of riding fat bikes exclusively are getting numbered.  We head to Florida this Friday for vacation.  Hopefully upon our return we see grass!  This week and next week will see very little riding.  Rest and recovery!

Time to start Monday...go.

No comments: