Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Velo CX.

Working retail it's not the easiest to get an entire weekend off, but this past weekend it worked and I was on tap for Velo CX in Blaine.
My in-laws are are a 10 minute drive from the venue so it works out nicely. 
Saturday I raced twice, 10 and 12:30.  The earlier race was the Masters 35+.  There were 4 of us fighting for the top spot.  I was able to come away with the win...my first in cross racing!  Then it was time for recovery and attempts at staying warm before the single speed race at 12:30.
I was able to get a good start on the single speed race and was sitting in a good position.  On the backside of the course my pedal hit on an off camber section and down I went.  I tried hard to catch back up but hitting lap traffic and being gassed it was hard!  I was able to reach the podium with a 3rd.  Again I was pretty stoked.  It should be noted that some of the top usual riders were racing the elite race that day because of the big money pay out.  Nonetheless, a podium is a podium!

Sunday I was slotted to race twice again: 10 and 4.  The early race was similar to Saturday.  I had an absolute blast during this race.  I learned so much.  Like using lap traffic to my advantage, when to pass or not, getting over barriers, etc.  Pulled out the win with a hard charging second place guy behind me.  It was here I decided to bail on the 4 SS race.  I was tired and had some work to do at the shop that night yet.
Overall my family and I had a great time at Velo CX.  Truly hope to make next year more of a focus on cross.
Oh so much fun.

Gotta get the kids to school.

Later.

No comments: