Monday, April 06, 2020

Recap.

Saturday morning was full sun and little wind, but cold.  I waited till it warmed some before heading out on a ride.  Even with it being cold full sun this time of year is amazing.  I was excited to get out for a ride as it was my first ride on the Cutthroat.  This bike has been in the process of being built for many months.  I wanted a Cutthroat for some races I have coming up: DKXL and The Crusher.  Not the fastest bike for gravel but more comfortable and more stable.  Yesterday, FYI,  the DK was postponed to September.
So pretty!

The bike came with Shimano GRX but I swapped that out for Sram AXS.  My first go with electronic shifting.  Thus far I am very impressed.  
Saturday's Ride.

Later that day the family and I headed out on a little bike ride.  We stopped at the hydro dam as the water is super high.  Then it was the bridges loop.  

Sunday was a tad warmer in the morning so I got off on a ride before anyone was up.  The wind was predicted to be 10-15mph out of the south, which it was.  It just felt stronger most of the day.  Not wanting to do any part of the Dirt Bag I made my way towards Darwin but using different roads, at least on the way there.
Closed bridge west of Kingston.

Not only was the wind beating me up but the gravel was soft.  Not soft because it had been graded or freshly laid but moisture.  Not sure if that was leftover from rain earlier during the week of if some frost is still working it's way out.  Either way I was not flying!

I made my way to Darwin but didn't stop for the obligatory photo at the ball of twine as I wanted to keep moving and there were folks already there.  Social distancing!  
The first section on the way back I stuck to pavement heading due north to give my legs a break and enjoy the full effect of the tailwind.  Eventually I made my way back onto gravel and zigged and zagged my way home.

The Ride.

At home Harper and I gathered sticks from the yard and had a little fire in the back yard.  We are ready for summer!

I'm waiting a bit more this morning for daylight before pushing off for my county road 8 loop, 27-30 some miles depending on the exact route.  I'm going direct and easy.  Just spinning the legs before work.

Happy Week.

No comments: