Friday, January 08, 2021

Into the Fog.

 Pretty much all week as been covered in a blanket of fog and hoar frost.  Turns out it's a bit unusual for that to happen in January due to the usually cooler temps, wind, etc. but here we are.  Nonetheless I like it.  Kind of like riding at night, the fog and frost make the same old trails feels different and new.  Plus the hoar frost clings to everything making it pretty dang scenic.

Yesterday started foggy and ended foggy.  Not much reprieve at all.  I headed out on the Mukluk around 9.  I did a couple laps on the Race Track, some laps on a tiny holding pond/swamp, and decided to check out the river and the Beaver Islands.  I followed foot prints most of the time.  I also stuck to the eastern channel and didn't venture to other islands or channels.  Maybe later in the year if we get some deep freezes.

The end of the road.  This is the furthest South I can go on the river.  
Even in really cold years this is open.

From the Race Track I took County Road 8 to Island View Park.  Did a lap on the trails and headed back down 8 to Sand Prairie.  I spent most of my time at SP, doing laps on all the trails.
Eventually I made my way back up the Prison Hill to the North Loop and Friedrich Park.  Despite the warm up and no new snow all the trails are running very well.  It's been a super fun week on the fat bike!

The Ride.

I also started using our rower this week.  Just a couple times.  I plan to keep it to 2-3 times per week.  I've tossed in some core stuff too.  It's that time of year to work other muscles besides just the legs.  I hope to get out cross country skiing some too.  But I'm a fair weather fan at best with skiing so I'll wait for some more snow.  Yes, more snow!  Snowshoeing is a blast as well and my Hok Skis.  

Let it snow!



No comments: