Monday, April 12, 2021

Dreary Day Riding.

 Man last week was wet, dreary, chilly, and a bit windy.  At the start of the week it didn't look like I'd get much for riding in.  But as the days came and the forecast tightened up I was able to sneak rides in here and there.  I am ready for some sun and warmer temps however...but not this week.  More of the same is on tap with a bit of snow tossed in.  Ugh.

Thursday I did get out on the Evergreen.  The wind was NE of sorts so I headed out that way.  Usually I do a bunch of gravel on the way out and not as much on the way back.  But since it's been raining and literally just stopped I opted to flip it, pavement first and gravel second.

My route kept changing in my mind.  Which is part of the joy of riding a gravel type bike.  Any road, anytime.  Surprisingly the gravel wasn't that bad.  We had received a bunch of rain so it was a bit soft and the bike was getting dirty but it was passable.  I hadn't planned crossing hwy 169 but it seems all roads lead that way in Mille Lacs County, or they are dead ends.  After my jaunt on the East side of 169 I made my way for home.

I finished with 113 miles and a very dirt bike and Ben.  I headed straight to the hose to wash the worms and gravel off the bike.

Saturday I ended up working for an employee so I got up around 4:45 to get my ride in before hand.  While it's a struggle to get up at that time it's truly my favorite time to ride.  Usually the wind is low, low traffic, and riding while the sun rises is invigorating.  I only had time for 3 hours before I had to get to work.  I ended with 50 miles, to which I received plenty of grief for only riding 50 miles, ha!

Sunday was yet another overcast, dreary day.  It also appears we are stuck in a Northern wind pattern for a good spell.  Sunday it was basically out of the North.  I took the River Road on the East side of the Mississippi River up to Little Falls.  I then continued on to Camp Ripley, Randall, and Cushing.  At Cushing I crossed back over hwy 10 heading West for a good chunk.  

On the way back I was in search of the Dos Pistolas.  To the SW we have the Ball of Twine.  To the N/NW we have the Dos Pistolas.  I encountered them a few years ago but never remember exactly where they are.  I was just alternating between Southern and Eastern roads and bam...dos pistolas.

Good 'ol Todd County.

With the tailwind I made good time getting home.  The ride was bit more than initially planned but I got on a few roads that had no way off and/or turned back the wrong direction.  

The Ride.

I was riding the T6 Rando for both rides this weekend.  So far I'm really digging that bike.  Super comfy.  Plus my left knee doesn't hurt when riding this bike.  I have road pedals on this bike versus mtb, which I'm attributing to the pain reduction.  The other bikes will get road pedals once the weather is more consistently nice.

Chances for rain exist today and tomorrow, with maybe snow tomorrow.  I'm still trying to decide about riding today or not.  I have a dry window for riding before work but I'm a bit lazy right now.  Decisions!

Happy Week. 




No comments: