Thursday, February 02, 2023

Arrowhead 135 2023

This past Monday, 1/30/23, I toed the line for my 11th time at the Arrowhead 135.  It would become my 10th finish and first win.  I've come in 5th, 4th, 3rd, and 2nd over the years but it took my last go around to grab the win.  Yep, I'm stepping back from the race for awhile.  I'm sure I'll be back but I want to explore other races and since it's hard to get into the Arrowhead I want to allow others to get in on the action as well.

The race start was cold.  I've heard reports ranging form -30 to -40.  I saw -28 with a windchill of -42.  About 15 miles into the race it usually gets colder, which it did.  Just know, it was cold!

I was 5th in the lead group.  About a mile in I got up front and made a pull.  When I pulled off I saw it was just Daniel Perry and I.  I assumed others would latch on but that never happened.

I went to take my first drink about 5 miles in.  My hydration bag hose was already frozen.  I wasn't thirsty nor did it concern me much so I kept rolling with Daniel.  Daniel's hub gave him issues later on so I rode away.  He later caught and passed me while I stopped to put my hydration hose around my torso under my bibs.  The bibs I used were 45Nrth Naughtvind bib knickers.  They come up high on your torso, which worked perfectly to thaw my hydration hose.

Nearing the first checkpoint, around 35 miles in, I caught back up to Daniel.  He too was dealing with frozen fluids.

Daniel and I rolling into CP1, Gateway.

At CP1.  Here I tested my fluids for the first time.  The wrapping the hose around my torso worked!  I didn't have to go in but Daniel did.  It was the last time I'd ride with anyone.




After CP1 the hills start to show up.  Years past this section was my nemesis.  I usually would blow up and lose the riders I was with.  A bunch of it was mental but the physical was part of the equation too.  Reluctantly I've started doing interval training prior to the race.  I must admit I feel it works.  Thanks Noah!
With the cold, the snow was hard and mostly firm.  But it was also grippy.  Which is good and bad.  It was good as I was able to climb all the hills (first time) on my way to CP2.  It's bad as the snow is constantly gripping your tires, slowing you down.

Rolling into CP2.


Checkpoint 2 is the only time I go inside.  I made the decision to change my base layer, hat, neck gaiter, nose covering, and mittens as it was going to get colder (it was below zero for the entire race) from there on out.  I was able to get in, change, eat a grilled cheese sandwich, a handful of nuts, slam a class of Coke, and get back on the bike in 7 minutes.  I wasn't sure where the other riders were so I wanted to keep my stay short.  The longer you stay in a checkpoint the harder it is to leave.

Now the real hills start, not for several miles, but once they start they don't stop till shortly after CP3.  Again, because of the cold and snow, I was able to climb more of the hills than years past.  I did walk hills as well.  This was my first time being in the lead at this point.  Years past I would use the riders in front of me as a guide.  If they walked, I walked.  Being in the lead threw me for a loop, ha!

CP3 is around 110 miles in.  I play games with myself.  I said I couldn't look at my distance till the sun went down.  When I looked I was sure the CP was around the corner.  I was bummed to see I had 5 miles left.  Getting to CP3 always takes longer than I think it will.  About 2 miles to the CP a fox came flying by me on the trail!  It startled me good, better than a shot of caffeine.  

I made it to CP3.  I had yet to fill up my hydration pack.  I also had a 20oz Hydroflask with.  I filled that with Embarks concoction they had.  Man was that good!  Like CP1, I was there for only 1 minute.  
Leaving CP3, two of my daughters ran along side with sparklers!


The next section is mostly flat.  Some will say they don't like this section.  I don't mind it.  I've only ridden it in the dark.  Maybe in the daylight it's different.  It is a bit more open in areas so the wind was burning a bit.  I kept looking over my shoulder to see if I could see the lights of others coming up on me.  I kept thinking there is no way I can win.  But the remaining 25 miles ticked off with no one coming into view.

At the finish!

I never quite know how to say I was happy I won.  Because, in reality, I'm happy to just finish, get 2nd or 5th.  But, yes, I was pretty stoked.

Huge thanks goes to Jen, my wife.  Avery and Harper, two of my daughters that made the trek north for the first time.  My mother in-law Mary Jo and her friend Lynn who also made the trip.  I had quite the entourage!  Also to my folks for taking care of the home front and the pets.

My cheer team!



I get asked the most about my gear.  I will break it down quickly.

My bike is a 2018 Salsa Cycles carbon Mukluk. It has Sram Eagle and a Wolftooth 30 tooth elliptical chainring.

Wheels: 26" 80mm Hed carbon rims laced to Onyx hubs.  I heard of several folks having issues with their hubs in the cold.  Onyx hubs don't have those issues.  Bomber and smooth.

Cockpit:  I use a SQLabs carbon handlebar with a bit of a rise and 16 degrees of back sweep.  I really like them.  I have Ergon cork grips that I wrap with handlebar tape to both provide more protection from the cold and more comfort.  This was the best my hands faired.  My hands suck.  I also use the Revelate Design Expedition Pogies.  I wore liner mitten from Outdoor Research.

Clothing: Donkey Label sleeveless undershirt.  Craft Active Extreme long sleeve base layer.  45Nrth (current version) Naughtvind jacket.  I've used many jackets for this race.  My closet is full of them.  This was the best yet!  I worked very well for me.  I may have my mom put in front zipper vents but that's me.  On my bottom I had on 45Nrth Naughtvind bib knickers with Bontrager soft shell bib tights over.  It worked almost perfectly.  However both bibs have zippers.  The zippers got to be a tad tedious when having to take a nature break.  But not bad enough I would change the set up.  
On my feet I had merino wool compression socks, RAB vapor barrier, Smartwool Hunting sock and 45Nrth Wolfgar boot.  I only got cold feet once.  Running a minute took care of that.
I wore a neck gaiter, nose covering, and light weight hat on my head.

Lights: Light and Motion Seca 2500 Enduro.  I've used this light for several Arrowheads.  This was the first year the light died.  About 10 miles from the finish.  I then used my Princeton Tec Apex headlamp.

Food: I ate 6 snickers bars, some handfuls of frozen gummy bears, a grilled cheese sandwich, handful of nuts, and a half sleeve of Clif Shot Bloks.  For my drink I was using Infinite Nutrition Go Far...a high caloric drink.  I had 100oz with me at the start and some leftover at the finish.  When it's cold it's hard to, or more uncomfortable, to eat and drink.  But I never bonked or felt behind.  That being said I should have eaten and drank more.

Having done this event, and other winter ultras, many times, I am still figuring out new ways of doing things, etc.  But I felt I was pretty dialed this go around.  In winter ultras it's not always about the speed but in how we deal with the cold and all the other things that can go wrong.  The interesting thing about these races is the same setup may not work for me the next time.  Always learning and adapting.







1 comment:

Al R. said...

Excellent description of the race. Appreciate the low-down on your equipment.