Friday, October 28, 2011

Too Fast?

I usually don't write about trends or what's the next big thing in the bike market but today is different. I've been in the industry since the summer of '94 and started biking "seriously" in '90. In that time I have seen a lot of changes: front suspension, rear suspension, linear pull brakes, disc brakes, integrated headsets, all kinds of bottom brackets, carbon fiber everything, etc. But not until recently have things, in my opinion, gotten crazy.
To me the changes are happening so fast that there isn't time for a "standard" to be determined. There are currently 4 front hub axle configurations, too many different headsets to list, what kind of brakes on what, tapered steer tubes or straight, over sized rear hub axles, and on and on...
This is how I know I'm getting old! I am afraid the stuff I like and trust will become obsolete for something new and flashy pushed on us by the industry. I have finally accepted the reality that I won't be able to buy a new stock road bike that accepts a standard headset and now my mountain bikes, cross bikes, are next...tear in my eye. Seriously what is so wrong with cantilever brakes? I know they don't stop on a dime but isn't that what makes them somewhat fun? The rider has to actually be aware of their surrounding conditions and estimate stopping time. But I guess riders don't like to think: give me some electronic shifting. Hell no.
Oh hell, it's progress right?
So give me more, but make it lighter, I need 11 speed electronic shifting, hydraulic disc brake stopping, carbon fiber dampening, over sized everything, self thinking road bike.

Ha, I'm 36...my kids are screwed when I'm 50!

Later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I completely agree. It is now 2016 and i have to wonder if a standard will ever settle in again. Hoping to keep my 26'r thriving until I wear it out!