Monday, January 20, 2020

Weekend Review.

After posting last Friday I decided I had time to get a short spin in before work and before the snow.  I did a loop or so on the Race Track in the Talahi Woods then up the hill and to the North Loop and Friedrich Park.  1 hour 15 minutes.

Friday mornings ride.

Sometime after noon the snow started to fly.  It looked like it would be a good wallop of snow as it was piling up fast.  But, as with most MN storms, it fizzled and died.  The cause was a dry air mass or something.  So we got around 5" and not 12".  But honestly, 5 was more than enough!

Saturday the wind came in earnest.  After shoveling out Jen and I went over to Friedrich to Hok Ski and snowshoe.  Man the skis are a blast!  They work pretty well at packing the trail too.  Jen was following behind on snowshoes, which helped even out the trail.
Throughout the day I kept getting reports of folks snowshoeing the North Loop.  My guess is at least 8 people hit it up.  It was later groomed that afternoon.  I've yet to make my way over there but guessing it's good to go.

Later that afternoon I headed down the Beaver Island Trail on the fat bike.  I tried some of the trails but they needed more work and more time to set up.  So it was a mini urban adventure for 2 hours 12 minutes.
Urban Riding.

 Trails on the far south side of the River Bluffs, Saturday night.

Sunday I wanted one last big push before a somewhat of a rest week leading up to the Arrowhead 135 next Monday.  Jim G. and I met up at 9:45 on fat bikes and headed west and north.  At one point we aired down and jumped on some snowmobile trails but they were just too soft yet.  We looked and contemplated taking the Wobegon but it hadn't been groomed and there was only one track down the center.  It looked soft and busy.  Onward on pavement.  However 90% of our ride was on snow.  Roads were still pretty bad.  Studs were helpful.  Ended with 5 hours and almost 60 miles.

Post ride, I was a bit knackered.  AH is going to hurt.
The most "road" I've ridden in sometime!

With Sunday's ride I was able to reach my 20 hour goal, for 187 miles.  All in all a good week.  With sickness, gymnastics, work, riding, snow storms, etc. it seemed like a very long week.  
The kids are off today and tomorrow so more lack of routine.  Gymnastics meets fill this week with meets today, tomorrow, and Friday.  I'll sneak a few rides in but nothing crazy.  Saturday Jen and I will make our way up to International Falls in preparation for the Arrowhead.

Happy Monday.

No comments: