Monday, March 30, 2020

Wet Weekend.

Saturday was predicted to be a washout, with all day rain. I wasn't sure how or when a ride would happen.  But upon waking it wasn't raining yet.  After checking the weather a dozen times I decided I had a short window to ride.  About 5 minutes into my ride it started to hint at rain.  I got a bit wet but not bad.  It was short lived.  The rest of my ride was mostly dry.  Ended with almost 3 hours.  The rain really didn't start for a few more hours, making me wish I'd pushed on a bit further.

Later that night the rain turned to snow and was sticking.  Ugh.  I'm not sure on totals but it looked to be 2-3" of heavy, wet snow.  Which fell on top of our 1.6" of rain.  It was warming up to the mid 40's, if not higher, Sunday afternoon but the snow was taking it's time at melting.  To pass the time time I vacuumed, mopped, made Benny Balls, etc.  By 1 I finally decided it was now or never. I left on the Slop Bike (Surly Cross Check single speed).

Once out of our cluster of neighborhoods the roads had actually been plowed and were mostly dry.  The first 45 minutes or so were on pavement.  I then jumped on some gravel as it didn't look too bad. With all that moisture it was soft but doable.  Overall the gravel was hit or miss.  Some was good some was just plain bad.

This was one of the rather messy, slow sections.

As I pushed on I realized I was getting closer to Little Falls.  I had two taillights but nothing for a headlight.  I hadn't planned on a long ride but gambled and pushed on.  
I headed home on the west side of the Mississippi.  All pavement and with tailwind.  I was spinning out regularly on the single speed.  It felt good to have easy spinning after the headwind and soft gravel on the way out.

I made it home without the need or want of a headlight.  Thanks to the tailwind.  A bit over 6 hours and 100 miles.

Already today the sun is fully out!  Mid to upper 50's are predicted.  I'm wearing shorts to work!

Happy Monday.

No comments: