Monday, September 21, 2020

Virtual Dirt Bag.

 The Dirt Bag is usually sometime in October.  But as with most races it's been canceled.  In it's place there is a virtual event.  Ride the course in the next month, take a selfie, turn in your Strava file, and win prizes!  Saturday myself and 3 others (the biggest group I've been with since the beginning of March) tackled the 100 mile route.

We met out at Sportsman Park in Clearwater for an 8:30 start time.  Already the wind was picking up, as predicted.  It was out of the South so it would provide for a nice tailwind later in the day.  I ride the Dirt Bag route a lot, but older versions.  This was a new route so I had to follow my Garmin.  I really like that.  Turn when I'm told and follow the road.  A nice deviation from the same 'ol thing.  

It's that time of year when the start of morning rides require more clothing but as the day progresses you have to shed layers.  As the day wore on my arm warmers and vest came off, leaving me with a jersey and bibs.  Despite the wind it was a very nice day.  

The Ride, always faster with friends. I had more mileage as I bike to and from the start.

Sunday I was up before the sun, not hard as it takes longer and longer for it to crest the horizon, but opted to not ride.  I hung out with Toby and drank coffee.  Eventually I made pancakes and waited for the the family to wake up.  Later on we headed out to Fairhaven Orchard for some apples.
Around 1:30 I headed out for a ride.  About 2 miles down County Road 8 I contemplated turning around.  The wind was wicked.  A solid 20 mph with stronger gusts.  I put my head down and gutted it out.  Once I got on the Dirt Bag route (yes I ride it a lot but there are so many variations of it) I was better protected from the wind.  

I jumped around a bunch on the route, cutting sections, adding new sections, etc.  Mostly to stay as protected from the wind but also to stay in a Southern direction as to not prolong my efforts into the wind. At Maple Lake I made my way West and North.  Ahhhh.

Check out the flags.  
The Ride.

It's an in school learning day so I planned on getting up at 5:45-6.  Toby started whimpering at 4:40.  Ugh. I still have 25 minutes before having to get Harper up.  Once she's on the bus I'll jump on the MTB for a couple easy hours.

Happy Week.



No comments: