Monday, January 25, 2021

Weekend Riding.

 Saturday morning I hoped it would be snowing but alas it was not and slotted for the afternoon.  I headed out on the Mukluk for Plum Creek and the River Bluffs.  After doing all the trails on the South Side I headed back to the SE.  At the Race Track I jumped on the river and started bopping around the Beaver Islands. 

End of the road.

I started back on a path I made a few weeks ago on the river.  But with warm weather and now cold the ice is constantly changing.
This was enough to get me off the river.

The ice had a flaky top layer that gave way to a slick layer of ice.  I was on the far East channel.  The water depth has receded over the winter leaving air gaps.  Once I busted through I got off and headed to Sand Prairie.  

With the new trails at Sand Prairie I'm still working on putting together a smooth route.  Depending which entrance I use dictates what I do.  This time I entered from the West.  While riding the trails I decided to only do them once, rather than multiple times.  I figured I should hit up all our trails.  Since I came in on the West I left on the North.  I have a bushwhack route across the train tracks into Friedrich Park.  I did half of FP before taking the Cross Over to the North Loop.  After completing the Loop it was back over to FP to finish it up and head home.
The ride.
All these trails are within 6 or so miles of my house!  Technically we have trails on the West side of town at Quarry Park but those are a work in progress.  
Later that day Jen and I took Toby back to SP and hiked the Toby Trails.  It started snowing on our way there.  Fun times.

Sunday I had to work at the shop so I was up early to get a ride in on the new snow.  We received around 3".  I'll take it!  I went back to SP to put the trail in on the new trails.  The rutted section from the rider riding when it was slush is still shitty, but getting better.  This time at SP I did loops on the new trails (Toby Trails) to pack it in.  If I hadn't had to work I would have headed out with snowshoes and weighted sled, as it does a much better job...but not as fun as biking it in!
While not smooth, it's getting better at SP.  More snow would help but I still love it.

In a normal year I would be eating breakfast at the AmericInn in International Falls right now.  Nervously waiting for the start of the Arrowhead 135.  Sounds like a handful of riders are up there doing the route today on their own.  I'm somewhat jealous.

But I'm home waiting to get Harper up and ready for school.  After she's on the bus I'll head over to the North Loop.  Rumor is it was groomed last night.  I better check it out before the walkers.





No comments: