Friday, April 23, 2021

Top 10 Weather Day!

 I lucked out having Thursday off and the weather being the best it's been in a couple weeks.  Full sun, topping out in the mid 60's, albeit was a bit breezy...but not out of the NW!!

I let it warm a bit before heading out.  But I was anxious to get going so only waited till 8.  It was still in the 30's but the sun made a huge difference.  I wore a jacket, knee warmers, headband, and warmer gloves...knowing I'd ditch them all later.  The wind was W/SW.  It was actually a bit odd.  I couldn't seem to ever pinpoint the direction it was coming from.  I think it was oscillating between West, Southwest, and South.  

My plan was to hit up Darwin and the Ball of Twine for the 3rd time this year.  I wanted to come into Darwin from the South so made my way to the Luce Line Trail.  I took the trail to Hutchinson.  I had planned on jumping off here but opted to push forward on the trail some more.  East of Hutchinson it switches back to crushed granite, or something similar.  It obviously doesn't see much use.  There was moss growing on the trail, ruts from previous rains were abound, plus it was a bit soft.  At Cedar Mills I jumped off and made my way North and West.  Tailwind!

I did find Darwin and the ball is still there.  I topped off fluids and bought something salty at the gas station.  From Darwin I'm always a bit perplexed which route to take home.  My options are limited as there are dead end roads, too busy of roads, or the roads start to head back the wrong way.  I inevitably end up on routes I've taken previously.  I try to switch it up but that usually doesn't work out too well.  I stuck to familiar roads as time was ticking by.

I got a bit beat up on this ride.  I slept on my neck wrong a couple days ago.  It was getting better each day.  On the Luce Line I stopped to remove some clothing.  Getting back on the bike my foot slipped off the pedal.  Not a big deal but apparently my neck didn't like it.  It proceeded to tighten up much of the remainder of the ride.  I'm not sure if that had something to do with my knees, but both started to ache.  A different hurt than I was experiencing with my left knee and it was both knees!  I checked my seat height and it was good.  Weird.  I was an old man the rest of the night.  This morning everything seems better!

The Ride.

I like to get an easy ride the day after a long ride.  Letting Toby out this morning, punk got me up at 4:50, I noticed it had rained.  We will see what it looks like once Harper gets on the bus.

Our one day weather reprieve is gone, back to crap weather.




No comments: