Monday, May 24, 2021

Heat Acclimation.

 Saturday was hot and muggy.  While not my favorite riding weather I don't hate it and it's good timing if I hope to get acclimated to the heat before Unbound XL.  I headed out around 7:30 on the Cutthroat.  S/SW winds were pretty strong already at the start.  I decided on Darwin once again, trip #5, but took a different route.  I went further South, flirting with Hutchinson, before crossing Hwy 15 and making my way back up to Darwin and the Ball of Twine.

I popped the 100oz bladder into my hydration pack, previously 70 oz, before I left.  Good thing.  By the time I hit Darwin I was ready for more.  Couple Gatorades, liter of water, and a Coke later I was good to go.  I stayed East of Powder Ridge before making a push West.  The tailwind was amazing but created many "dead zones"....so hot!

The Ride.

Sunday I had to work so I was up and out riding before 7:00.  This time on the T6 Rando.  The winds were E/NE, more East, so I headed out straight East on pavement.  It was super thick.  I was sweating instantly. It felt more like Mid August that May.  But by the time I passed Foley the wind picked up and the dew points fell, almost instantly.  I got a bit chilled!

On the way home I took gravel with now whipping tailwind.  I got home early enough I didn't have to rush off to work, which I enjoy.
The Ride.

So racing...

I'm not feeling it anymore.  I love riding and will always ride but I'm not so sure how much racing I will do anymore.  I'm even contemplating bailing on Unbound XL.  Maybe it's because I ride a bunch already being gone for races seems too much?  Maybe I put too much pressure on myself?  Or maybe I just don't want to race anymore?  
Unbound is falling at a busy time for us.  Brinna is graduating and work is busy.  Grad party stuff needs to get done and bikes need fixing and to be sold.
What to do?!




No comments: